After our trip to the Louvre on Wednesday evening, Ed and I
decided that Mary (and only Mary) would love to see the Egyptian and Greek and
Roman collections, so we decided to split upon Saturday. Ed was willing to take
Mary to the museum and I had been wanting to spend more time exploring the Bois
de Vincennes. They had a marionette theatre in the park that I wanted to see,
but the kids kept yelling that puppets were creepy and voted for the boat ride
instead. I guess the Parisian puppet theaters will have to wait for my next
trip.
Ed and Mary at the Louvre:
Ed decided to try to use the bicycles to get to the museum,
and Mary did really well. They didn’t make it all the way, but cycling on Paris
streets can be unnerving, especially for a younger rider. As for the Louvre, we
were right. She loved it. She has decided that she loves all museums. Awesome.
| Dad and Mary take a selfie |
| Ed and a Roman emperor take a selfie.
Mary and Dad take turns taking pictures of each
other.
|
| What? Goofing around in the museum? She must be with Ed. |
| Apparently, she was either underwhelmed by the Winged Victory, or she was exhausted. She does have the “Louvre Look.” |
Candice and the Kids at the Bois de Vincennes
One of the largest parks in Paris, it includes a zoo, a castle, a three different botanical gardens, two or more lakes, and the national institute of sport. It’s much bigger than we could ever cross on foot in a day (with kids), so we just started at the end nearest to our house. We found a lovely playground (of course) and the kids entertained themselves in the sand for two hours (again). I only got them to leave by promising a boat ride on the lake, which proved to be lots of fun.
Isaac was very excited to try rowing. The oars were
big, heavy and awkward, but he didn’t give up and he finally got the hang of
it. I rowed for a while, and it wasn’t easy. Abby and Joe and Linda all got a
chance to try, as well, so we didn’t go very far. But everyone had a great
time. The kids loved the ducks and swans and weeping willows all around the
lake.
After the boat ride, I acquiesced to the children’s
demands and let them take one ride on the nouveau carousel. You know the kind I
mean—the gaudy and tacky ones they bring with the traveling carnival at the
Fourth of July. Abby rode on Jasmine’s flying carpet, Isaac and Linda rode in
Dusty the airplane, and Joe was on a school bus. Why do kids love this kind of
thing—three minutes of going up and down and around with flashing lights and
bright colors? I guess we adults have our own sort of fun like this. We just
call them cell phones.
We met up at home
for dinner and then Ed and I, although tired, didn’t want to waste an evening.
We looked up a jazz act we were interested in and headed down to the Left Bank
for Café Laurent to hear a post-bob quartet of which we can no longer remember
the name. Before they started we ordered some water and juice, and since I
wanted something to snack on, Ed pointed to the table next to us and basically
intimated “We’ll have what their having.” It turned out to be Greek caviar,
which tasted pretty awful. Luckily, our bill didn’t break the bank, and since
there was no cover charge on the band, we still felt we got more than our
money’s worth. The music started at 9 and although we hadn’t intended to stay
out late, we couldn’t tear ourselves away until after 11. The music was
soulful, the talent was top-notch, and the surroundings were comfortable—a
lovely evening.
| We arrived about 20 minutes early and got the best seat in the house. |
![]() |
| None of our evenings out would be complete without sending a photo to all of Ed’s family on a WhatsApp chat to gloat about our adventures. |






No comments:
Post a Comment