Sunday, September 20, 2015

Paris, Day 10: Some Time Off

For the last couple days the interest level of both me and the kids has been at somewhat of a lull, so I decided to give eveyone, myself included, a day off. We slept in a little late, then the kids spent the morning catching up on Math homework and their reports on the Bastille  (which were fairly pathetic, if I may say so). I spent the morning doing bills and catching up on odds and ends. The kids also got to have some fun screen time, then in the early afternoon we went to the bakery and everyone chose a pastry except Isaac, who chose an orange Fanta (what the ?!?!). Then we went to the city park just up the street from the house. It has not only playscapes, but also a grassy area and lots of bamboo, which seems to have been planted to make mazes and forts amongst. It was fun, but the kids got tired of it faster than I expected. I think they're just kind of tired of everything. I made some comfort food for dinner--chicken pot pie--and let the kids watch a movie to end the day. I think (hope?) they'll be ready to go out tomorrow, because I still have a list of things I want to do. 

Climbing on top of the playscape, instead of in it. Of course.
Hiding in the bamboo
Abby had to have her photo taken as well.
Ed has been gone to a conference in Lille since yesterday morning, but he came home this evening. We didn't want to waste any of our Paris time, so we met downtown at the Shakespeare and Company

bookshop on the left bank. It's the oldest and most famous English bookshop in Paris, named after the original Shakespeare and Company bookshop where Hemingway and Eliot and other expat literati used to hang out. The books were overpriced, so I didn’t buy anything, but it was fun to explore the nooks and crannies, and there were soft benches hidden in various corners. It was mostly just fun to be with Ed again. I don’t get tired of him very easily.

The evening's photo: Notre Dame Cathedral from the upstairs window of the bookshop.


No comments: