Saturday, September 12, 2015

Paris, Day 4: Typically Touristy

I have to say, the Eiffel Tower is much more impressive from the ground, especially when you factor in the cost of the ticket to the top. Yes, the view is nice, but if you have five children all saying how cold they are (sheesh, it wasn't cold) and pretending they are afraid of heights, it's actually pretty lame. I didn't get to take in much of the view. 

The view from the ticket line, which was only a 30 minute wait, thank heaven. Plus we met a very nice young American couple in front of us who seemed to actually be entertained by my kids.
Isaac was insistent that he was scared, and thought himself very funny. 
As usual, Abby was the most eager to get her photo taken.
From the bridge over the Seine, on the way to the Trocadero Gardens. 
This street performer lured the kids in with free lollipops, got them to pose for a picture, then was indignant when I only gave him two Euro. These guys know how to work it.
I had promised the kids from the first day a ride on a carousel, and luckily there was one right across the river. Of course, I had forgotten to get cash, so I left the kids in a park for a few minutes while I ran up the street to a bank. When I came back, Abby was about to wet herself and the toilets were locked, so she ended up being (rather publicly) behind some bushes. Oh well.

They loved the double-decker carousel:



Then it was lunch time and Joe--after many long days--was ready for a nap (i.e. melting down in tantrums every hundred meters). We made it home (the Tower is all the way across town from our house) and the kids stayed home while Ed and I went out for an afternoon date to the World Arab Institute Museum. It's website claimed to be an exploration of Arab history, with an emphasis on contemporary Arab culture and issues, but I found it to be less informative than I had hoped. We saw some beautiful photographs and interesting artifacts, however, and the view from the rooftop terrace was lovely. 
This scroll was about 4 inches wide and on it was written a copy of the entire Koran. When rolled up, it was smaller than the inside of a toilet roll. This photo doesn't convey the tiny script--all that brown is writing.


Ed and Notre Dame, overlooking the Seine. 
We finished our afternoon with gelato on Ile Saint-Louis, the smaller and more picturesque of the two islands in the Seine, and pleasantly bicycled home. Still love those bicycles.

P.S. The mosquitos were terrible in Connecticut, not so great in Gries, and even bothered the sweeter of my kids in Paris. I love this photo of Linda, showing off a mosquito bite on the end of her nose.


No comments: