Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Winter, winter and more winter.

Granted, 17 degrees at the end of February doesn't feel quite as bad as 17 degrees in early January. But it's still 17 degrees. We are still getting a healthy-sized winter storm about once a week and now that it's a little closer to spring, bouncing between rain and snow produces huge sheets of ice. The picture to the left was a pretty good day when the weather was in the upper 20s and sunny. Both of the kids have new boots that have significantly increased our mobility (it's such much more fun to stomp around in frog and kitty-cat boots). Also, Isaac just got this pair of sunglasses and he is definitely the epitome of cool. We constantly pass women on the street who just laugh when they see him strutting along in his duds. It's even better in his big bulky snowsuit. Mary's snowsuit is leftover from last year and getting really tight in the torso. I keep telling her "just another week or two, and you'll never have to wear it again!" She still wears a dress every day, despite the weather, so we've been investing in heavy tights. These "triangle tights" are her favorite, and since they have a lot of pink in them, they match everything else in her wardrobe.

Thanks to my generous sister Kristi and my sweet husband Ed, I get to leave this frozen wasteland for five whole days this weekend and go to New Mexico, land of 70 degrees and sunny. I was looking at Mary and Isaac's faces this morning as I helped them to get dressed and realized how pasty white they look. After a year in Denmark and a year in Chicago, I guess we all could use a little vacation in the sun. Perhaps I'll try to bottle some sunshine and bring it back with me.

No comments: