I have often thought of this blog as a record of our family's year in Jerusalem. But lately as I write I've realized how much this is really just a record of MY year in Jerusalem. Ed and the kids would have catalogued so many different things than I have, and would undoubtedly remember many of our same experiences in a different way. This blog, then is just another iteration of the historian's truth: history is written by the victor; in this case--history has been written by the one who cared enough to take the time to write it. I hope everyone recognizes that for all my blogging, it is only mine. I make no claims to achieving a universally true representation.
Having said that, I want to introduce you to some of the greatest people I have ever met. We had the privilege of knowing the Seth and Amy Christensen family for a mere four weeks, but I think I was sadder to say goodbye to them than to anyone else here. Seth and Amy are both grounded, intelligent, witty, and entertaining, the sort of people with whom I could talk for hours and never get bored. They have an unflagging optimism, rock-solid faith, and an incredible willingness to adventure through life, come what may. They came to Israel with their four delightful, intelligent, well-behaved children, in the hopes they would be accepted to a medical trial for Seth's ALS (Lou Gehrig disease), with the possibility of staying in Jerusalem 1-6 months. Unfortunately, the trial couldn't (wouldn't?) accommodate them, and they decided to return to the States rather than stay here or travel around Europe. I can't blame them, but I do wish--selfishly--that they had stayed. Since they've left, though, I have tried to be a little more like them. I try not to let perceived difficulties keep me from doing things I want to do. I try to be happier, despite frustrations. And I try to be more grateful every day for the blessings I have. Thanks, Seth and Amy. I love you both.
![]() |
| Seth, Amy, and their oldest child Sam joining us at the Jerusalem Formula One exhibition. |
![]() |
| Our kids hit it off well. Back row: Sam, Isaac, Ellie. Front row: Jake, Jayne, Linda, and Mary. (Abby and Joe stayed home that day.) |




No comments:
Post a Comment