Monday, June 24, 2013

Ed: Bringing Home the Bacon in a Bacon-less Land

This is for anyone who is curious about what Ed's job in Israel is really like. Here are some photos and videos that say it better than I ever could.

This is how Ed wants his students to see him at the first of the semester:


But by the end of the semester, he's this:

He mostly likes to give them a really hard time, then be a really cute dad in public to Abby and Joe so the students realize the crusty, sarcastic exterior is just a shell. Which it is. But then he doesn't have to actually be nice to them for them to realize that he's likable, and he can continue to be crotchety. And odd. He likes to surprise his students with being odd. 

I think he was trying to capture a perfect photo here of something down under the vegetation. Or maybe he was taking a moment to sunbathe. Whatever.
"No. Not even close. You should just quit trying."
"The soft limestone of the Shephelah"

"Waa, waa, quit your bawling!"
"Look, I'm a BYU student and I'm taking another picture!"
"Leave me alone."
"If these stones could speak, what would they say . . . . ."
"I hate pictures"
"I'm tired of visiting these places."
Even though all of the above pictures show Ed in only two different shirts, they were all actually taken on different days. He just has his two field trip shirts that have become somewhat iconic. He swears by them.
"Quit being lazy and get up and walk!"
"You can take home a potsherd if you want, but I promise you you won't want to pack it at the end of the semester."


Ed's Birthday:

Through a series of somewhat shady deals, Ed managed to convince the students in Winter semester to throw him a party, and since his birthday (April 19) happened to coincide with their last day of finals, they decided to combine the celebration. One student did most of the planning, except that Ed took it upon himself to give each male student a costume assignment. And bless their hearts, every single one of them showed up in costume and participated in the fashion show. It was one of the funniest--and probably the most fun--party I have ever been to. We miss those Winter Semester students.
Back row, l to r: Nacho Libre, Harry Potter, Mime, Smokey the Bear, a cow, Sawyer as himself, Kuzco and Kronk (from Emperor's New Groove), a General Authority, Toucan Sam, Dwight Shroot (with his girlfriend)
Middle/Front: Justin Bieber, Cowboy, David Cassidy from the Partridge Family, trained monkey, Justin Timberlake, Lebron James, Wolverine, Romeo, Sad Clown
The only student that didn't follow his assignment was Ben. He was assigned to be a trained monkey, so he dressed up like Ed. He is wearing what Ed wears on every field trip. 
Ed's parents arrived the night before, so Nancy got to say a few words.
Ed and I with Aubrey Guynn, party planner extraordinaire, and fellow Connecticutian. And now a dear friend.
President Uchtdorf happened to be staying in the Jerusalem Center the night of the party and Hunter, the Sad Clown, ran into him (almost literally) on the stairs on his way to the party. Apparently the dialogue was something like this: President Uchtdorf:"Hello! What are you?" 
Hunter: "Umm, I'm a sad clown." 
Pres. Uchtdorf: "I can see that."
Hunter. "It's for my professor's birthday."
Pres. Uchtdorf: "How old is your professor?"

Ed's crazy, but they love him. A whole lot.


1 comment:

Karen K said...

I love, love, love all of the stories and pictures, but for some reason I just cannot stop laughing about the President Uchtdorf story!

We love your family!