She was not particularly happy to enter the cold, harsh world, but she settled after a little while.
Our last visit with surrogate Grandma and dearly-missed friend, Mary Fullmer. (Wow, that sounds like she died! She's not dead--we just moved away.)
Her blessing day, and another cute picture. This chair is workin' for her.
B. We bought a house and moved from Chicago, IL to Orem, UT, thanks to a lot of help from ward members on both ends, friends, family, and the Heavens. We adore the house and yard (the kids love the trampoline and safe cul-de-sac to run and ride in), have the kindest neighbors, and we have settled in fairly quickly and painlessly.
To be honest, there are a lot of things I really miss about Chicago, though:
1. Hyde Park Produce
2. our friends (yes, I think I actually miss the produce store more than my friends)
3. diversity (tan and blond, tan and blond...)
4. Lake Michigan
5. the entertaining Chicago politics
6. walking and riding my bike to do errands
Things I don't miss:
1. the traffic
2. the litter
3. fighting for parking (or paying
4. the U of C pressure (not that Ed doesn't feel academic and professional pressure here, but BYU is full of such incredibly nice people who really want you to succeed!)
Things that all suburbanites transplanted to Hyde Park would bemoan and I would scoff at that I'm now humble eough to admit I love:
1. my driveway
2. convenient shopping
3. letting my kids roam in the neighborhood and not having to make playdates for them to do something fun
4. drive-thru bank atm's (with four kids in the car, I want to open the doors as few times as possible)
We also now live by Uncle Pete, who has a very cool Jeep and a very cool dog named Panzer. Isaac asks nearly every day when he will get to see Uncle Pete again, who unfortunately works nights and can't come hang out as often as the kids would like. It's probably good for Uncle Pete, though, since they go wild around him. He's just so cool and exciting! (Mary was actually a little scared of the bald head and goatee at first, but she got over it pretty quick.)
C. We hosted Grandma Camp a month after moving in with my parents, siblings and all their kids. It was the first time in a few years every one of us could make it, and it was great fun to be together. Everyone was here for Abby's blessing on Sunday, and then we did all sorts of activities for a week. I really enjoyed hosting as well, especially since Mom was actually in charge and I didn't have to plan meals and activities. I'll be glad that the next time we host Grandma Camp or any other big shindig, though, I won't have to put my guests on air mattresses and ask them to bring their own towels! (Moving from student housing to a seven-bedroom home takes some time to fill in the spaces.)
D. Mary and Isaac started at a new school. This was a rather traumatic process for both Mary and I, since our school district has open enrollment and you can apply for schools outside your neighborhood. When I began looking at the various schools I had two necessary criteria: it had to challenge the kids so they wouldn't be bored, and I really wanted it to be within walking distance. I fell in love with Northridge Elementary and their specialty classes--an hour of art and an hour of music every day, great test scores and a devoted and experienced faculty. However, since it was so late in the year, chances were slim to none that they'd actually get in, so I geared the kids to be excited about Windsor. We went to Windsor's open house and met the teachers and then the afternoon before the first day of school, Northridge called with openings. Well, if you know Isaac, he didn't really care. His actual words were "I'll just let Mary decide for me. She can tell me all about it." But Mary--sweet, inflexible, intractable Mary--was beside herself. After using all my powers of persuasion, explanation, reasoning and bribery, I finally just had to lay down the law and tell her that Mom knows best and she must obey. She was sure that her good life was ending, but after a week she's content and excited and I don't think she even remembers there existed a school called Windsor.
And here are some other photos of the kids, just living the high summertime life in Orem:
On the deck in the backyard.
We took them camping on the backside of Mt. Timpanogos. We only lasted until 8 a.m., but at least we did it. The kids had a blast, the parents not so much.
Mary and Isaac playing dress-up with their new friends Jared and Esther.
Linda showing off the sand from the watertable at the Thanksgiving Point Dinosaur Museum. What a cool place! Smaller, of course, but on par with Chicago museums.
This picture was actually from back in Chicago, when the kids went to Vacation Bible School at the Lutheran church in Hyde Park. The had a great time, and I think the shirts they made say a lot about their individual personalities, or at least Mary's does.
Yes, Linda is actually buck naked out in the backyard. She idolizes her brother and after watching him pee on trees, she thinks she can strip down and do the same. Her angle isn't quite as effective as his, however.
And here are a couple videos:
7 comments:
That was so fun to read what you guys are up to. Thanks for adding me. I can't believe I have to go back without you there!
Oh, thank you for inviting us to view this little slice of your life! We miss you, and are so happy that you've found a wonderful place in Orem for your family and selves. Hooray for little miracles!
What a summer! You all look healthy and happy and wacky. In true Stratford style. I love you all! -Allison
Abagail is so cute! I think I would make the same list right now of what I miss about hyde park now living in the suburbs only I did find a latino market which is a lot like the produce market but not walking distance. I love having a drive way and letting the kids run.Suburbia life is a lot easier. It was fun to see your kids online. I'll have to show the kids. Tell Mary, I'll try my best to obey God.
Wow! You've been busy. I love your new house. And congrats on Baby Abby. I miss the Hyde Park Produce too.
Congrats on getting into such a great-sounding school! And I'm glad that Mary survived the transition. :) The single pic I see of the house is very impressive, and I can't wait until you can give me the grand tour in person. We miss you tons!
Wow! That was one busy summer! So glad you all had a great move and a great little addition to your family!
Post a Comment